Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sour Cream Blueberry Cherry Pie

Yummy, creamy pie!
Pie is without a doubt my favorite desert, so I don't make it very often because I could easily eat half of one as my entire dinner. :) However, I do occasionally like to have some sweets around the house and since I had company this week I thought it would be nice to have a pie for them (and me, I couldn't resist having a slice right after it came out of the oven). It has been a while since I made this particular pie, and I usually make it with just blueberries but I had a few cans of cherries on hand and figured they would go well together. I was correct in that surmise; the tart cherries go perfectly with the sweeter blueberries and the mild tangyness of the sour cream. This pie also goes together quickly and only takes 25 minutes to bake so you don't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen if you are busy, which is nice, especially as the holiday season is upon us. 

Speaking of the holiday season, holy crap, I can't believe it is already December and less than a month till Christmas. I haven't even started on my Christmas presents yet. Yikes! I'm not too worried though because I am planning on making a candy and shipping it to most of my friends and family, which means you can look forward to my candy recipes for caramels, my grandmother's fudge, amaretto truffles, and possibly toffee. 

Happy Holidays everybody! 

Sour Cream Blueberry and Cherry Pie
1 cup Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons Flour
¾ cup Sugar
1 Egg
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 15 oz. can Blueberries drained
2 15 oz. can Tart Cherries drained
Prepared Pie Crust
Beat sour cream, flour, sugar, egg, salt, and vanilla for about 5 minutes on medium in a blender and then fold in the berries. Pour into crust (follow directions for making crust below) and bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until center is set (should just barely jiggle). Let cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.


Here is the trusty pie crust recipe I always use, it is the same one that I posted for the Savory Meat Galette recipe but this time I made a lattice crust top. I have instructions below for making the crust but if you want awesome step by step instructions on making a lattice pie crust top check out Annie's Eats post on how to make a lattice top pie crust. I love Annie's Eats, partly because she often has such amazing instructions accompanied by pictures. So if you feel like you would like more details on making the crust definitely check out her page.

Flaky Pie Crust Recipe (Taken from “The American’s Woman Cook Book” circa 1938)
Recipe makes enough for a top and bottom crust
1 ½ cups Flour
½ teaspoons Salt
½ cup Cold Butter (can use shortening or for extra flavor cold bacon grease)
4-5 tablespoons Ice Cold Water (can sometimes take more – add more as needed)
Put flour and salt into a bowl and cut in the butter with a pie cutter until the butter is in roughly pea sized shapes. Slowly add in water (you don’t want to add to much water or over mix the dough) mixing quickly with a fork until you can shape the dough with your hands and it mostly stays together. The dough will seem a little dry but if you shape it into a ball with your hands and it sticks than it is wet enough to roll out. On a lightly floured surface (i.e. your countertop) divide pie crust dough in half and roll out the first half of the crust to fit a 9 inch pie plate, put crust in 9 inch pie plate and set aside.

To make the lattice top of the crust, roll out second half of pie dough to roughly the same size as the other half and slice into 3/4 inch (size is approximate) strips. After you have put the filling into the pie plate lay down about 6 strips one way on top of the filling and then start weaving the other strips in and out to make a basket weave effect. After you are done trim the edges of the pie so that the crust doesn’t hang over the edge. Now your pie is ready to bake! (This crust typically bakes at 400°, but some recipes may call of a different temperature).


Note on the pie crust: Not mixing the dough too much is very important to a flaky pie crust because the little pellets of butter that aren’t completely mixed into the flour are what make the crust “flake” while baking – making it tender and yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment