Saturday, September 18, 2010

Fresh Tomato, Onion, and Mushroom Fettucini

The Fettucini ready to eat!
My basic ingredients assembled along with my glass of wine

On Friday's I like to have a real sit-down dinner with my boyfriend since he works evenings every day except for Friday, so I thought I would make this yummy vegetarian fettucini dish. I had him pick up some Chardonnay on the way home from work to even out the sauce; previously I used tomato sauce but I think the wine adds a more subtile finish to the dish and provides a good excuse to get my drink on. :) 

The other thing I love about this dish is that it uses both fresh and cheep ingredients, it probably cost about 7 bucks tops to make and if you needed to pinch pennies further you could substitute canned tomatoes and mushrooms for fresh. Also, this doesn't take too long to prepare, only about 45 minutes from start to finish, since it is basically all chopping up and dumping into one big skillet. 

Enjoy making this tasty meal!

Fresh Tomato, Onion, and Mushroom Fettucini
4 Tomatoes chopped
1 Onion chopped
2 or more cups baby portabella mushrooms chopped
1 cup White Wine (Chardonnay) 
2-3 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons brown sugar
½ box Fettucini pasta cooked according to package directions
Olive Oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 teas. Cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)
1 ½ teas. Basil
1 ½ teas. Tarragon
1 teas. Oregano
Sauté Onion in a large skillet in olive oil – when onion begins to caramelize sprinkle on brown sugar and add in mushrooms. Sauté for about 5 minutes then add tomatoes, garlic, and other spices. Cook about 15 minutes (or until tomatoes are soft but have not lost all shape). Add in wine – cook on low for about 5-10 more minutes or until flavors have mellowed. While in the last few minutes of cooking, boil pasta. Stir into sauce and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment